~~~


Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Albums you can listen to for a week.


A few days ago Matt Hill tweeted the following , " Discussing best "whole album" experiences. Like: something you can listen to for a week straight. What are yours?" Which got me thinking and realized we could go a step further and discuss single songs alone that one could listen to for that long. But I choosed to keep it to just albums. I can hear the kids out there saying , " What the Flock is an album? "

A couple of things came to mind puting together this list , I decided I would keep artist like Chet baker and Serge Gainsbourg off the list for two reasons.

1. Some people may not know who they are.
2. Many of the albums that came to mind are not even available anymore in any form.

So basically I kept to main street and mostly the superstars and believe it or not some of these are not available. Go figure. They are also listed in alphabetical order. Some albums may not be considered the best work by the artist or they are remembered for just a certain song , Such as Angie on  " Goats Head Soup " by the Stones.In this case I will make note at the album to explain my feelings.

With the exception of the Beatles , the Stones and a few others most of the great music in the 60's was still produced in singles. Just check out Motown. Even the Beatles as great as they were couldn't keep up with Motown.

One final note. There are albums such as " Dark Side of the Moon  " by Pink Floyd that forced the world to stand up and take notice , but I left off the list. Why ? well as much as I love the album and can still remember the first time I listened to it I know I could not spend a whole week letting it run. Remember this is a personal list kept within the boundaries that most people have listened to those on the list before , but don't feel like you have to limit yourself to the same rules I saddled myself with.

Every one is welcomed to join in and speak your ears.

1.   Allman Brothers   ~~~ Brothers and Sisters.
2.   Allman Brothers   ~~~ Fillmore East.
3.   Beatles ~~~~~~~~~~~ The White Album
4.   Beatles ~~~~~~~~~~~ Rubber Soul
5.   Beatles ~~~~~~~~~~~ Revolver
6.   David Bowie ~~~~~~~ The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.
( When I heard this for the first time all I could think about was the Jackson Pollock of Rock and Roll . )

7.   Joe Cocker ~~~~~~ With a little help from my Friends.
8.   CSN + Y ~~~~~~~~ 4 Way Street
9.   Dylan ~~~~~~~~~~ Highway 61 Revisited
10. Marvin Gaye ~~~~~ Whats going on
11. It's a Beautiful Day ~ It's a Beautiful Day
12. Janis Joplin        ~~~ I Got them ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!
13. Annie Lennox    ~~~ Diva
14. Annie Lennox    ~~~ Medusa
15. John Mellencamp ~ John Mellencamp
16. Van Morrison    ~~~ Back on Top
17. Van Morrison    ~~~ Days Like This
18. Van Morrison    ~~~ No Guru , No Method , No Teacher
19. Bob Marley       ~~~~ Legend
20. The Pretenders  ~~~ Get Close
21. The Rolling Stones ~ Goats Head Soup.
( I know many will be surprised by this selection of the Stones but I pick it because of the true gem, the song , " Winter " that I believe is the best song the Stones ever produced and I could easly listen to this song alone for a week. )

22. Santana            ~~~~ Abraxas
23. Supertramp       ~~~ Even in the Quietest Moment
24. Stringsteen      ~~~~ The Wild, The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
( " New York City Serenade" ,  is my favorite song of all time. )

25. Traffic               ~~~~ On the Road
26.  Jethro Tull        ~~~ Living in the Past
( Some thinking , just like my list =O) )

27. U2                     ~~~~~ The Josha Tree
( I was in Dublin when I heard this for the first time. There are times that music forms the cornerstones of our lifes . )

28. Stevie Wonder's  ~~~ Original Musiquarium 1
29. Neil Young         ~~~~ Decade

I do like a lot of the music released today but can't think of much I can listen to from beginning to end. Besides with todays downloads of just about anything that you want there really isnt much reason to buy music in Albums or CDs form anymore.   unless some one buys me equipment with all the my favorite songs downloaded already , much like my buddy Jethro I'll be living and listening in the past.





                                             

3 comments:

Anne Hickey said...

Mickey
Great blog post today. I listen to many of these albums myself. I just love Days Like This from Van the Man. He is like a fine wine. Just gets better with age. 2 albums that I could listen to for a week are Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell. Happy 4th of July

Mickey said...

Hi Anne , I agree with you Honky Chateau , Mad Man Across the Water and Yellow brick road are all classics with Candles in the wind one of my top 5 songs of all time. I have a 6 cd player in the car , 4 cds are Van Morrison . I can listen to him forever. I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July and can't wait to see your photos from Ireland. It will be like going home.

Mickey said...

Ps I also like the Bat out of hell album. especially the Phil Rizzuto part. They never told him what the song was about when they asked him to do it. He didnt find out till later. He was talking about it during a game and had me laughing so hard I almost peed.God I miss Phil =O)

Where we come from is as important as where we are heading

1915

1915

1933

1933

1953

1953

1958

1958

1960

1960

1977

1977